Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: Nuance Salma Hayek Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trio Pewter/Silver Shimmer 065

As you'll remember, I picked up the Nuance Salma Hayek Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trio Pewter/Silver Shimmer 065 (.115oz, $8.99) this past week when I did the CVS Nuance Extrabucks deal (which ends tonight). The pewter/taupey color on the end definitely piqued my interest. Well I've had a decent amount of time to play with it and see how it wore throughout the day.
From looking at the product, you can't really tell much about it, other than perhaps a general color scheme and that it contains 3 different products in a container a bit longer than a regular mascara tube. When you twist it open, you see the following:
A taupey/pewter shimmery cream eyeshadow
A shimmery white eyeshadow stick, and
A black retractable eyeliner
I think the idea of the set is quite fun, but given the general set up, I was expecting one of the ends to contain a loose eyeshadow, like the Tarte Lock & Rolls.
Eye Shadow at Beauty.com at ShopStyle

The white stick highlighter is not something that I would use on the brow bone; it's too stark and too metallic and shimmery looking for my tastes. I personally would have preferred a powder eyeshadow the same color as the cream.

As I mentioned, I played with this quite a lot during the week. As far as wear time is concerned, the cream eyeshadow creased pretty significantly during the day and I doubt it lasted for more than an hour on its own. I also layered it with Urban Decay Primer Potion and it lasted a bit longer. It lasted all day on me with Primer Potion and another powder eyeshadow on top. However, the eyeliner lasted all day with only minimal fading even without the Primer Potion. It's a very deep black color and goes on opaquely. It is a little harder than most of the eyeliners I prefer these days, but I didn't find that it tugged or irritated my eyes. I wish they would put out this retractable eyeliner separately as I doubt there's very much product in this particular product (I know they have regular stick gel liners but I love the ease of the twist up especially for work mornings). The white cream eyeshadow... eh - again, there's no way I would wear this on my brow bone but it's an ok inner corner highlight. Again, I would have preferred they replace this with a powder eyeshadow.

For $8.49 it's a convenient little set for traveling or to stash in your hand bag. My only complaints is I wish the cream eyeshadow was more long wearing on its own and that the metallic white stick wasn't included. I was really impressed with the eyeliner and would definitely buy that separately if it was available.