Sunday, December 25, 2011

Review: blinc Eyeliner in Black

The blinc Eyeliner in Black came in the December Birchbox and I gave it the ultimate test today. Since we're Jewish and don't celebrate Christmas, we have a long-standing tradition of going to the movies and this year we saw War Horse. Even though it's set during a world war, there is an emotional undertone and I bawled for the last 20 minutes or so (I went through 3 tissues). After the movie, on the ride over to my parent's house, I asked my husband how my makeup looked, "surprisingly good" he said. It is now 10 hours past application, and similarly to the blinc mascara which I didn't care for, this has the tendency of flaking a bit and there's some black specks underneath my eye (though I'd say this held up pretty well considering all of the crying) This picture was taken about 15 minutes ago.
This is a very black eyeliner. It's fairly opaque though because the brush is very long and the sample tube allows more product on the brush than you actually need (or want) application is a bit tricky. I had to take off the excess on the side of the tube which then gets on the wand of the brush and can spot your lids if you're not careful. The brush is very thin and allows you to make a nice wing.
At $24, it's quite pricey. I'm not the biggest liquid liner fan. I prefer pencils and gels. This is a pretty decent one, although I hope the stopper on the full size works better than on the sample. It does last a long time and is certainly watery-eyes (or tears) proof!
Some swatches. The farthest to the left was when the brush was fairly (if not overly) saturated with liner and the farther over you go, the less product is on the brush. It is easier to control the liner the less product is on it, so opacity may be an issue in that case. For me, I'd rather go over the line once or twice rather than risk a big blob of liner on my lid!

In closing, I'll continue to use this until it's finished but I'm not sure I'd repurchase.


Disclosure: Birchbox referral link used.