Sunday, April 4, 2010

Current Skincare Routine Additions & Reviews

Several weeks ago, I was sent SkinMD to try out. After hearing about it on the blogosphere for quite some time, I was actually considering purchasing it myself since I deal with eczema and dry skin. About a week ago, I was sure that the new additions to my routine had solved my skin problem, until all the little spots that I get came back. I obviously wasn't going to praise a product if it wasn't truly working but it turns out that it was actually my time of the month and now that my hormones are back in check, the spots have once again disappeared so I feel comfortable writing this review.

So what is this miracle combination?

SkinMD Natural and The Body Shop Seaweed Clarifying Night Treatment

Ever since I started using these two products together, my skin has been mostly spot-free and better hydrated. And for the first time, I haven't had to resort to antibiotics to get rid of the pimple-like bumps that usually spot my face. I also have noticed that foundations that should dry me out (and will when I'm not well hydrated), look much better at the end of the day even after 12+ hours.

I find that SkinMD does a fairly good job at keeping me hydrated, the only exception to this is right after I shower. In this case, I generally do one application right after I get out of the shower and then a second before I apply my makeup. I also use the remainder of whatever I squeeze out on my super dry and itchy arms and my ears. Why my ears? Well, I usually get patches of eczema there and I am now sore free! I'm going to be replacing my bottle when it's used up. I only wish it were a bit bigger (and cheaper - but I've used much more expensive moisturizers - like Murad - ouch!). I see they sell an industrial sized gallon container and I'm honestly a little tempted.

The Body Shop Seaweed Night Treatment was a bit of a surprise quite honestly. For one, the ingredient list is a bit astounding and it is heavily fragranced (it actually kind of smells like the discontinued Spirit of the Moonflower fragrance which was one of my absolute favorites). Though it's a serum, if I put too much on my face, my face sometimes feels a bit tacky and of course, it's for oily skin, which I don't have! When the sales associate suggested it to me in lieu of the sensitive skin formula, I was a bit hesitant to try it, but it seems to be working for me so I've been pleased.

The Body Shop Seaweed Night Treatment retails for $20 for 1oz and is available at The Body Shop.

SkinMD Natural retails for $18 for 4oz and is available on skinmdnatural.com and select retailers.

**
Disclosures:
I was sent SkinMD Natural for review.
I bought The Body Shop Seaweed Night Treatment.

3 comments:

Alyson @ The Gloss Menagerie said...

Very cool!! Thanks for the review. =)

Jeweled Thumb said...

@Aly: No problem! It was nice to finally write about skincare that worked for me! And a future review is actually coming from DH! He has requested to "steal" my bottle of skinmd to bring to work. That must mean he likes it. =p

savvygreenmom said...

Thanks for the info! Our little boy has had severe Eczema all over his body since he was just a baby and it has been such a hard thing to figure out. We just did n't know what was causing it. After going to lots of docs, using creams that burn - we realized that we had been trying to "cover" his symptoms unknowingly and that is when we started working on him from the inside. We began giving him Vidazorb chewable probiotics and he started to look different in just a few days. Then, after about a week or two we just knew that something great was happening! He has been nearly Eczema free for whole year now and and still takes him supplement. I highly recommend this.

I would love to try this cream though for his occasional flares! I use olive oil in his bath and that seems to really help moisturize and feels good on his skin too.

I like your blog btw, if you ever want to visit I am at smilinggreenmom.com :D

Post a Comment