Sunday, November 14, 2010

Review: Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse

The blogosphere has been abuzz regarding this newish foundation from Maybelline so when it went on sale at CVS a couple weeks ago, I decided to pick it up. I picked up the shade Porcelain Ivory which I believe is the lightest shade offered in the range, or at least the lightest shade offered at my local CVS. The only Maybelline foundation I have been able to wear that wasn't too dark or yellow was the Pure foundation that was more like a tinted moisturizer that they have since discontinued.

I generally don't have good luck finding a color match with Maybelline foundations. I'll cut to the chase and say this time was no different.
The compact.
The compact next to my arm, uh oh.
I'm not especially happy here! I was really hoping to love this foundation!

So, even if the color match worked, I'm not loving the formula either. It is supposed to be "ultra-hydrating" but I found it drying (even though it was only on for a few minutes). It accentuated dry patches and went on a bit uneven. I used a flat topped buffing brush to apply.

Obviously I won't be repurchasing and this is going right back to CVS!

7 comments:

Mimi (MakeupWithdrawal) said...

You should try it with a damp sponge- of all the methods I tried it with, I found that gave me pretty good results! Like you, I also wanted to like it but ... It broke me out :(

G. said...

What a bummer! I had really good luck with the Dream Mousse concealer (everywhere but under my eyes) but then again my skin's oily. Sorry this didn't work for you, hun. :(

Jamie Dorman said...

I found it drying as well! I also found it only lasts 2 hrs on my skin. sadness.

Kate said...

I got this foundation in the same shade last year and have to say I don't love it either - can you really return something you've already used to the shop?! No chance of that in England even if you don't like something!

ndoodles said...

Aww bummer!! I was really hoping this foundation wouldn't accentuate the dryness.

Leticia said...

Aaaaww that sucks. :(

Jeweled Thumb said...

@Mimi: I actually already returned it since it is a bit too yellow/orange for my complexion.

@G: Everything you like, I dislike and everything you dislike I love! Or so it seems. =)

@PCS: I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who thought that! Everyone else seems to love it!

@Kat O: Yes, in the states you can return to most stores. Many drugstores/(chemists) have a liberal return policy especially on cosmetics! The only ones that don't are Walmart and Target.

@ndoodles: Could be different for you. Always try it out and see for yourself and I gather you'll be able to find a color match too! =)

@CA: Yeah, it went back to the store yesterday!

Post a Comment