Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Drugstore Diva?

Even though I have hauled online quite a bit, someone really stop me please, I continue to need that instant gratification from the drugstore. I've noticed a few things.

1. The prices are getting insane (I'm talking to you, Revlon!)

2. There are more options than ever before including color choices, remember when you could really only buy black, blackest black and sometimes brown for some brands of eyeliners? No more! With brands like Styli-Styli, Wet n Wild (though I hate their pencil eyeliners, I don't recommend!), prestige, L'oreal's HIP line and Milani, there are so many choices out there. This is somewhat bad for me since I want it all! And of course, each color is slightly different, right? And the formulas are slightly different, just different enough (even if you are talking about regular 'ol black) that in our heads we can authorize the purchase and say it isn't like anything else we own, which is a lie of course.

3. The sales aren't as good. Even I have been sucked into Buy 1 get 1 50% off, which really is just 25% off - not that great. Now a true BOGO or Buy 1 get 1 free calls my name often, which is unfortunate. I remember when Wet n Wild used to go on sale for 3/$1 back when I was in my teens. What happened? I know that cosmetic companies have gotten greedy - it's not as though the product has suddenly started costing them more money - there are many sites out there that look at the true worth of say, a lipstick, which is somewhere around $.30 to make. That's a lot of profit!

Some of the drugstore brands have gems though! For instance, I will never pay more than $10 for a mascara anymore because I know I can get it cheap at the drugstore, especially if you stack coupons with sales.

My favorite drugstore products include:
  • Neutrogena Healthy Volume Mascara - one of the only mascaras I can use in the winter when my eyes usually tear from the cold and then mascara usually further irritates them. I originally picked this up pretty cheap and will continue to buy it.
  • Nearly the entire H.I.P line from L'oreal! What a great line. Just buy it on sale since it is fairly expensive.
  • L'oreal Colour Riche lipgloss - this lipgloss is on the sheerer side, but it's super moisturizing and just gives the lips a subtle hint. This is one of those items I always keep in my purse.
Of course, there's a ton of other wonderful products out there. And with deals and coupons even those of us that are on a budget, can get good products!