Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review: (Zoya) Smart Spa Grapefruit Surprise Sugar Scrub

Zoya and its mini sub-brands, Qtica, Smart Spa and Callus are very generous with their gift with purchases. The best part is you don't need to remember any codes and items are automatically added to your order if you make a high enough purchase. It must have been several months ago that they were including these Smart Spa sugar scrubs as their GWP. Between a couple orders, I managed to get two of their sugar scrubs, the Grapefruit Surprise I'm reviewing today and the Cool Sugar (which I think might be discontinued). The 7oz tube usually retails for $18 so it was a pretty nice freebie.

I'm a big fan of scrubs and my favorites are sugar scrubs, but I'm very picky with my scrubs. I don't like oily residues and prefer fairly abrasive scrubs that really do the job. If there's only a few scrubby bits, I may as well use my gloves and regular shower gel and save an extra step and money!

The Smart Spa sugar scrub is a little weird. It's a thick gel and within the gel there are tons of little sugar particles. Upon first glance, I thought it wasn't going to be that great but when I actually used it, I was pleasantly surprised. The Grapefruit Surprise is a zingy slightly sweet scent which is great for mornings, it doesn't leave a residue as promised, it has medium "scrubbiness" and it's true, it's non-irritating. Even though this is marketed for professionals for pedicures and manicures, I used it all over my body without a problem. Because it's so thick, it's actually ideal in the shower and doesn't get washed away quite as easily as thinner or drier varieties.
The first thing I thought when I squeezed it out was that it looked exactly like a gum drop!

Anyway, I have quite enjoyed using mine though I'm not sure I'd repurchase as I already have a back up and it's a little pricey. If you received one as a freebie and stuck it in the back of your cabinet like I did, you should pull it out and give it a try!