Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Review: Revlon Mineral Finishing Powder

I just want to send a shout out to mother earth for bestowing upon us Earth Day... I mean, really the sales this year have been pretty awesome. Even Walgreens followed suit.

They sent out an e-mail this morning for 15% off your entire purchase (excluding a few things but not makeup!) and 20% off all Walgreens products and a free earth friendly shopping bag with any purchase. I was itching to get out of the office to go but of course I didn't leave till 6:30pm so I was worried the bags would be gone and everything I went for would be picked over. Wrong!

I was able to grab 2 of the new Revlon Colorstay Mineral Finishing powders. Revlon is buy 1 get 1 free this week and I got 15% off. Both of them cost $11.89 (not too shabby since they retail for something crazy for Revlon like $14).

These have been compared to MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes, so I was anxious to get my hands on them since they are of course LE. I picked up 2: Brighten & Sunkiss.

Brand Description:
"All over enchancing color in a talc-free mineral formula with Colorstay longwear."

Packaging:
Right off the bat, I noticed these were on the large side. The rounded powder is encased in a square box (about 3"x3") with a clear cover and flips open. At least they are stackable? The product inside is actually pretty decent about 1/3 of an ounce or 8.79 grams.

Color:
010 Brighten: Swirly darker pink, lighter pink and white with shimmer. The colors have a slight peachness to them in the pot but it doesn't strike me as either cool or warm.
030 Sunkiss: Swirly dark brown, a lighter brown and tan with shimmer. The lighter brown seems neutral but as with the name, it leans to the warm side.

They also make a matte shade but it looked way too dark for me and who wants MSF without shimmer?! Ok, I'm sure some people do, but I'm all about the luminousity baby!

Texture is a little less creamy than MSFs and they deposit less color on first swipe so this is probably good for the general drugstore market. I personally don't mind this as I don't want a face full of shimmer!

"Swatches" if you can see them anyhow. Sunkissed is on top and Brighten is on the bottom. You can only barely see the very subtle pink tint.
In general, I find these pretty nice. Though I really think Revlon is off their knocker with pricing these at $14 a piece. At least they are $11 less than MAC's version and sales and coupons come out often.

♥ jeweled thumb