Saturday, April 25, 2015

Review: Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil-Balm Punch Pop

I was super excited that the Bare Escentuals Lip-Oil Balms were available during ULTA's 20% discount code as while the balms are fairly reasonably priced for a prestige brand, 20% off is always better! I picked up the color Punch Pop, even though I had anticipated getting a color that leaned a bit more on the berry side. Nonetheless, I was super excited to try it!
The packaging is something that I honestly think BE or Bare Minerals, whatever they are calling themselves these days, could have been a little better. It is a fairly standard plastic case, with what appears to be metal where the balm actually comes out, but it is very lightweight. More lightweight than some of the drugstore products, and considering it's $16 - well they could have made it a tiny bit more weighty, or maybe a twist top, or something different than what you'd expect at the drugstore.
Punch Pop seems to transform the more layers you add. Left to right, we have 1 swipe, 2 swipes, 3 swipes and 4 swipes. Honestly, I don't think I could have handled applying 4 different layers of this product on my lips as it would have certainly bleeded through my lip line.
This is how one application looks on my lips, but your mileage may vary as my lips tend to be on the pigmented side, so I'm getting a slightly brighter color than the hand swatches would suggest.

I applied this on lips that had no prior moisturizer, but that weren't obviously dry or cracked. What I got as it continued to wear was that either it found dry pieces to flake off and remain on my lips (which isn't particularly flattering), or the formula has an issue where the pigment doesn't meld well with the actual oils after it's been heated on the lips' surface. I don't know which of these it is, but by hour 2 I felt I had a bunch of glitter between my lips which isn't exactly the intent of a moisturizing lip balm product. I don't know if anyone else has had this situation before or if my lips are especially sensitive, but I'm sad that mine is going back to the store (and I couldn't remove it fast enough).
Ingredients:
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Poly(C20-28 Olefin), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Hydroxystearic Acid, Passiflora Edulis Seed Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491,Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090), Red 6 (Ci 15850), Red 7 Lake (Ci 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140), Red 27 (Ci 45410), Red 28 Lake (Ci 45410), Red 22 Lake (Ci 45380).