Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Caudalie Beauty Elixir

The Caudalie Beauty Elixir came in a set of skincare items that I bought from Sephora during their Friends & Family sale. It was the best bang for the buck and included the lip balm which I really like as well as the foaming cleanser which I haven't yet tried. This is one of those cult skincare items that I've never tried before. I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't like it at first. I was expecting something similar to Fix+ or one of the other waters which tend to smell pleasant and are a burst of moisture and a bit of a pick-me-up but don't really do anything. This smelled very herbal and didn't seem to do much for my skin which already had a layer of makeup on it. If anything, using it as a setting spray somehow made my makeup look a bit worse.

Now that I've started using this as a toner after removing my makeup and cleansing my skin, I like it a lot more and it's done wonders for the break outs and general irritation my skin was experiencing. In between the "this is gross" and "oh, maybe I like this" I've gone through half the bottle! The rosemary leaf oil is a natural disinfectant and glycerin provides a bit of moisture without being sticky. Even though the second ingredient is alcohol, I don't find it drying though there is a bit of a tingle as it dries down.

During the holiday season, Caudalie puts out lots of skincare sets so while I do like this now that I've started using it for toning, I'm not sure I'd pay the retail price. The 1 ounce goes for $18 a bottle and there's a 3.4oz size for $48. Still, instead of shunning it to the back of my cupboard, I've now set it out on my sink to use and quite enjoy it! The mist it generates is quite fine. I'm still not a huge fan of the smell but aside from that, I'm pleased with the results.


INGREDIENTS : AQUA (WATER), ALCOHOL*, CITRUS AURANTIUM AMARA (BITTER ORANGE) FLOWER WATER*, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE)*, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF OIL*, POTASSIUM ALUM, GLYCERIN*, MENTHA PIPERITA (PEPPERMINT) OIL*, COMMIPHORA MYRRHA EXTRACT*, STYRAX BENZOIN RESIN EXTRACT*, MELISSA OFFICINALIS (BALM MINT) LEAF OIL*, ROSA DAMASCENA FLOWER OIL*, VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) FRUIT EXTRACT*, TOCOPHEROL*, CITRAL*, CITRONELLOL*, FARNESOL*, GERANIOL*, LIMONENE*, LINALOOL*. (010/018) *Origine végétale - Plant origin