Monday, February 28, 2011

Make Your Own Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara!

Reading & watching reviews upon reviews going nuts for the Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara that recently came out, I thought to myself that there must be a way to do this yourself and save yourself the ridiculous price for a sample size worth of product. The Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara brush is tiny and if you really look at it, you can see what they basically did was chop off the bottom part of a mascara wand, removing the thick part that has a tendency of gooping mascara onto the lashes you don't want nearly as dramatic as your upper ones. When you tilt your brush to the side to really work the tip into your lashes, that fat part kind of sits on them and makes them clumpy and unsightly. So maybe Clinique is a genius for figuring this out after years of regular mascara wands but I for one am not going to spend that kind of money on something so small.

DIY to the rescue.

What you'll need:
mascara*
a pair of scissors**
make up remover/water
paper towels

* I'd highly recommend using a GWP mascara for this (especially since they are free!). The brush/wand should be slightly pointed at the top and should be the non-plastic variety. I'm not sure what it is made out of, possibly nylon?
** I'd recommend cuticle scissors or something similar. These huge ones were awkward!

This shape is perfect!

Step 1: Remove the wand from the container and clean it! 

TIP: Use slightly harder paper towels so they don't leave little bits on your wand. If you use waterproof mascara you'll have to use an oil based remover, plus soap and water to clean it.
All clean!

Step 2: Take your scissors (again I recommend smaller scissors especially if you are using GWP mascaras) and start cutting the fibers on all sides of the brush, coming as close to the actual wand as possible without puncturing it. Do this over the trash can or plastic bag.


TIP: Keep on snipping until you get to the desired length. I'd recommend using a piece of tape as a guide if you want it exact.
All done!

Step 3: Clean the wand again to ensure there aren't any hairs that weren't attached but had hidden their way into the wand.

Look familiar?
Your own version could cost as little as nothing! Save yourself $10 (or more in other countries)!

26 comments:

Paige Bianca said...

NICE! You're a genius! I am SO doing this!

Jenni said...

nice idea!! I'd do this if i have a free mascara wand :D

Marie said...

Brilliant and oh so thrifty!

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Super cute necklace giveaway!

Petra said...

Ooh. I'm trying this out first chance I get!

Jamie Dorman said...

OMG I almost bought this today; thank you!!!

Hollie said...

Totall Ingenious! thanks for this DIY.

Unknown said...

...Oh wow, it's so simple and yet so brilliant! Thank you so much! You are fantastic!

Musing on Beauty said...

Oh that's a nice trick! Thanks!

AnnaYJia said...

OMG that's genius ! I never come up with such idea ! I should try this out soon !

galpal.hi said...

Visiting you via cosmeddicted's weekly reads post. This is a great idea! I already purchased the Clinique mascara and was thinking that I'd want to save the wand for future use but this is a wonderful idea! I will try it out too. Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea with us.

*Kat*

Jeweled Thumb said...

Thank you all! I hope this helps save you guys some money! Let me know how it works for you. =)

Make me up said...

GENIUS! x

Lucy said...

What a good idea :-)

Anonymous said...

Amazing idea! :)

Hannah said...

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for this x

Chloe said...

wow, cool! xxx

Arezu said...

That's a really good idea.

I personally wouldn't buy a "bottom lash only mascara" :/ Especially at that pirce.

I've also read somewhere a long time ago that you can use a dental brush as well.

Dainty Darling Digits said...

About to try this!

Katie said...

This is such a good idea! Good thinking, I'm going to try this out with one of mine :) xx

Sarah@Blusherobsession said...

just tried this, can't believe how well it works, thanks so much!

Gaby Fauchon said...

Oh wow, that's genius! Thanks a lot for this! x

Bee said...

Thanks for the post,this is a great idea x

Vida said...

Great post. It looks exactly like the clinique!

Robyn said...

Cool post! You can also buy tiny lash wands at MU supply stores online.

Kay said...

Awesome! Thanks for the ingenious idea :o)

Aquaheart said...

Why am I barely seeing this post now? Brilliant idea :D

Post a Comment