Tuesday, July 24, 2012

NOTD: Dermelect Above It

I was recently sent an offering of Dermelect nail colors to try as part of the Bloom Ambassadors program. Above It - a sky blue was the one I tried first. It was the most "me" color out of the ones I received. Once I try the other colors, I'm going to be doing a more comprehensive review of the formula, drying time and the longevity of the polish, but I'll mention the formula briefly here.

I found the polish a bit thick and hard to work with and it could benefit from some thinner. The first coat went on a bit streaky but it evened itself out on the 2nd (and 2 was definitely enough). I experienced some bubbling issues as it was hard to do thin coats due to the thickness of the formula. Otherwise, it dried fairly quickly without a fast drying top coat and I didn't get any nicks in it (I'm very impatient so it isn't unusual that I get dents in a new manicure).
First coat.
 Second coat.
Here's slightly different lighting and you can see the bubbles a bit better in this shot.

If the other colors have a similar issue with the formula, I'll apply some polish thinner prior to application. There was a bit of cuticle drag due to the thickness but overall, it was pretty easy to apply.

Dermelect polishes retail for $14 and come in .4oz bottles. The polishes are free of DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde and contain a type of peptide protein to strengthen nails.

Disclosure: The Dermelect polish was received for review as part of the Bloom Ambassador program. Also note referral link.