Saturday, January 19, 2013

Review: Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Glossy Stains

I wouldn't say I had the best luck with the YSL Glossy Stains, but I've been intrigued with lip products that have the ability to stain your lips while having a glossy finish till they wear off. I haven't yet had the chance to try the L'Oreal ones, but when I saw these at my local drugstore on sale, I quickly picked them up. Physicians Formula brought out a new Sexy Booster line (complete with blushes and bronzers), a spin on their Happy Booster line. The Physicians Formula version only comes in two colors, "Red" and "Hot Pink". Since I managed to get them for only $3 on sale and after coupons, I picked up both.
Physicians Formula has some of the cutest drugstore packaging ever. Just look at the shoe charms!
Aside from the cute ribbon and shoe charms, the packaging is a standard square tube and comes with a rounded doe foot applicator.
These have a similar formula to the YSL glossy stains; however, the formula differs between both of the colors. For example, the red one is much more translucent and more gel-like and doesn't seem to "dry down" which makes it retain some moisturizing properties. The hot pink is much more like the YSL Glossy Stains, as it seems to dry down on the lips and is more sticky and a bit less moisturizing. It is also a bit more pigmented than the red shade so I'm not sure if that contributes to the different textures (or if it's quality control issues).

The red is a more tomato-warmer red and the hot pink almost looks purple! These aren't colors I would wear on a daily basis, to the office for example; however, I think they are fun and they do actually stains the lips.
They definitely stained my hand in any case!
lip swatch - "Red"
lip swatch (poorly done, apologies) - "Hot Pink"
I took this picture after "Red" had been on my lips for about 5 minutes and I wiped it off. I definitely got some staining, though it was more evident on my bottom-more pigmented lip than the top one.

I've heard that these have some issues with wearing off unevenly like with what I experienced with the YSL version but for some reason, it bothers me less with these likely due to the price point! I don't know if Physicians Formula can really claim anything with pheromones. I don't know about your loves, but my husband won't kiss me while wearing anything red on my lips, pheromones or not.They definitely aren't "kiss proof" as claimed until you wipe the gloss part off.

Cute, but not amazing, but they were cheap enough to keep. ;)

Have you tried these yet? Thoughts?