Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup #110 Ivory

Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup launched earlier this year and honestly, I've been a bit conflicted about it. The first time I tried it, it was a disaster and I promptly returned it - fingers, various brushes all made it look awful. The second time I bought it, I finally found an application method that worked for me: cue beauty blender. I can't say it's a holy grail product because while using a beauty blender to apply foundation yields great results, especially on us drier gals, the process and clean up take a bit longer than I'd like. I know not everyone does this, but I like to wash my beauty blender immediately after I use it which doesn't lend itself to the early morning workday rush!
Revlon Colorstay Whipped Creme Makeup comes in a heavy glass jar with a fairly flimsy plastic lid. I know there have been complaints about the bulky packaging and also the lid but so far, I haven't had any cracking and managed not to drop it either. The wide mouthed jar comes with a stopper which keeps the packaging clean and limits air exposure.
The texture is a little strange. Revlon says this is a whipped product, but it seems much more dense than you would think something whipped would be. I don't find it especially light and airy; but I don't find it as thick as something like the Kat Von D foundation either. It's somewhere in between a cream and a liquid.
Color wise, the shade Ivory isn't horrible (though I'd prefer a touch lighter). If I apply a light layer all over my face, it doesn't look off. Actually, I wore this out to dinner with my parents a few weeks ago and my dad mentioned that it was the best my skin had ever looked (surprising since I had been battling several breakouts). The combination of this plus a damp beauty blender gives a lovely finish and with my dry skin I don't have to even think of setting with powder. I give a quick mist with my Skindinavia and it stays put till I take it off at night. Disclaimer, pretty much every foundation lasts well on my skin so your mileage may vary.

At just under $15 at drugstores, it's a nice addition to the drugstore lineup. It doesn't have SPF so you don't have to worry with flashback with photography. Revlon is often on sale and I picked up my jar for around $6 after Extrabucks/coupons which I think is very reasonable. If you haven't had much luck with this foundation, I'd suggest using a damp sponge similar to the Beauty Blender to apply. You may be surprised with the results! I know I'm glad I gave it a second shot.