Friday, March 20, 2015

Review: The Wet Brush Squirt

For someone with thick tangle-prone hair, I am always looking for some magical implement to tame it. I tried the Tangle Teezer, which only worked when my hair was sopping wet, but didn't reach my scalp when dry or semi-dry. I finally discovered hair-ties through Birchbox (referral link) which worked and didn't break after two weeks, but I'm still trying to find that perfect brush, especially since my Tangle Teezer had an unfortunate demise*. So, I bought the Squirt version of The Wet Brush, which promises the following:

Designed specifically for wet hair, the Squirt's Intelliflex™ bristles are super thin, strong and flexible. These bristles will glide through any hair type combing out tangles effortlessly. The bristles' flexibility enables protective and pain-free detangling while the SofTips™ on the very top of the bristles massage the scalp to stimulate circulation at the follicle. They are firm enough to comb through knots, yet flexible enough to be gentle on the scalp. Our IntelliFlex™ bristles bounce back to their original form after each stroke eliminating all the hair breakage and pain that used to be associated with brushing your hair. The Squirt can be used on wet or dry hair and works on extensions and wigs.
  • These bristles will glide through any hair type combing out tangles effortlessly nope
  • [...] while the SofTips™ on the very top of the bristles massage the scalp to stimulate circulation at the follicle nope
  • They are firm enough to comb through knots nope

So basically, on dry hair, similarly to the tangle teezer, but maybe even a little worse, this doesn't actually reach my scalp. I simply have too much hair for it to penetrate the layers and the hair is too thick. Similarly, when it's wet, I have to section it off into maybe 6 or so parts for the bristles to actually reach my scalp and even then, I can barely feel it. They are simply too flexible and not long and stiff enough. I get better results using the pads of my fingers, my hands or a wide toothed comb.

So, for me, The Wet Brush is a bit of a fail, but I'm keeping it around since I bought it the last time I was in NYC at Ricky's NYC and I'm way way way past any return policy if they have one. Thankfully, I only bought the small version and didn't spring for the large one, which appeared to be about the same, albeit smaller. If you have any brush recommendations for thick hair, please let me know! I'm always eager to give one a shot (well, let's be real, reasonable priced only). 

* A warning for tangle teezer users. I'm not sure if they specifically tell you not to bring your tangle teezer in the shower, but it was where I had the most luck and was able to use it, but the seal where the two pieces of plastic snap together (where you hold onto the brush and the part with the bristles) was not quite tight enough on mine and gathered water and thus mold and I had to throw the whole thing away. Just be careful! Mold in the shower, especially near your person is dangerous - throw in an already wet moist environment and that is not healthy. Anyway, that was yet another reason for my purchase.