Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Moisture is King


I'm going to unofficially call this "Hair Week" at Jeweled Thumb. Ever since I cut my hair a few weeks ago, it's almost as though I have been relearning how to deal with my hair. My hair has spring and life these days but it also needs products to help out. Something that I can't stress enough when dealing with dry/damaged frizz-prone hair is giving it the moisture it needs. There are many hair products on the market that claim to combat frizz and some do a great job but others add tons of chemical nasties or ingredients that coat the hair and make it appear moisturized and healthy (silicones). Personally, I can't stand these types of products. I hate having a sticky film on my hands after putting product in my hair and I try to stay away from products that have silicones in them.

I was recently given the opportunity to try a couple hair products through the Bloom Ambassador's program. One I really like and the other I'm not too keen on.
The first is the Sundari Healing Neem and Coconut Hair Treatment Oil. While the scent of this treatment is a little strong for my liking, the treatment oil is awesome. First of all, it contains several essential oils including neem oil, rose flower oil, rice oil, coconut oil, lavender oil, and apricot kernel oil and no nasty ingredients like silicone or parabens. I've used this as a hair treatment but I've also used it during the day time as well. It is very similar to the Biolage Delicate Care Organic Certified Oil that I reviewed and finished but this one is actually more cost effective. The Biolage is $20 for 1.7oz ($11.76 per ounce) and this is $34 for 3.4oz ($10 per ounce). Both treatment oils use lavender oil for its moisturizing properties so they both smell the same as well. I received a few sample packets of this and I'm eying the full size.
The other is the T'eez Bounce Me Styling Cream. This is the item that I wasn't so happy with. It has silicones, parabens and beeswax which makes the cream a bit thicker than I normally use. I rarely use true styling products in my hair. My hair stylist recently tried convincing me to use mousse. Let's just say I bought a bottle, eyed it down and stuck it in my medicine cabinet. Anyway, while this has some moisturizing ingredients, I simply wasn't a fan of the texture and I think the wax is the culprit here. I didn't seem to disperse well throughout my hair, it was a bit thick and sticky and I prefer when true styling products can be use on damp or dry hair as I usually shower at night. If you use styling aides, you might not have a problem with this cream. The tube comes with 6oz and retails for $22.99.

What are your tips and tricks for dealing with unruly locks?

Disclosure: Both were received for review as part of the Bloom Ambassador's program. My opinions are mine and honest as always!