Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review: Real Techniques Foundation Brush

When Samantha Chapman from Pixiwoo came out with her own line of brushes, I'll admit, I was intrigued. I picked up two of them during the most recent ULTA promotion. They are in the drugstore section of ULTA and thus are pretty reasonably priced. I'm pretty sure not one brush is over $10. The one I was most interested in was the slightly angled foundation brush.

Even though the standing on it's own is a neat feature, I didn't find it all that convenient. First of all, you can't dry a brush with it standing up as the water will just drain down into the ferrule and it could damage the glue that holds the brush hairs in place. Two, even though it's fairly thick at the bottom, it still falls over. So take me, near blind without my specs, and give me a towering thin brush to knock about, well - it isn't a pretty sight. And some other negatives, doesn't fit easily in a brush roll, brush belt, brush jar etc. etc. etc. Cool in theory but not as nice in practice.
The brush itself is interesting. The duo fiber end helps cut down on streaking though not removing it entirely. I found when the brush was slightly damp, the hairs kind of clumped up and made streaking worse. I wish the brush was slightly more dense and slightly wider so that you didn't have to apply foundation with the normal flat side down stroking method. It would be a superior foundation brush if you could apply using solely the fat white end. This is not an option as it's not dense enough to withstand any amount of pressure (other than stroking down with the brush flipped onto the long side in very soft short strokes - which defeats the 5am rush foundation application routine).

Anyway, whether or not this review made any sense is up to you. The upshot is, it's ok, but could be better. The Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Foundation Brush retails for $7.99 and can be found at ULTA.

3 comments:

Jamie Dorman said...

I find the essential foundation brush from this range that comes in the travel essentials set is better than this because it doesn't streak if you are stroking down on the face rather than across.

Jeweled Thumb said...

@Beaux: Thank you! Thanks for reading. =)

@PCS: I think I'm going to try one of the sets if I can find it in stock. Not only cheaper per brush but I've heard better things about the group brushes too.

healtopalm said...

I have the stippling brush which I really like and just ordered more. After this review, I am glad I didn't order this one.

Post a Comment