Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: Yes to Cucumbers Natural Glow Facial Towelettes

I've heard good things about these towelettes so a month or so ago, I picked these up at my local Rite Aid (also found at Walgreens and some Targets). The Yes to Cucumbers Natural Glow Facial Towelettes come in a package similar to other facial wipes, however the case has a plastic flip top opening which does help in keeping the wipes moist. They retail for around $6 for 30 wipes.
First, I want to go into why I use facial wipes. If I'm feeling well, I use these before I clean my fave with another more involved cleanser. If I'm feeling poorly, in a perfect world, this would remove all of my makeup in an easy swipe and go.

I found that these wipes can only be used when I'm feeling well and wind up cleansing my face twice. They do not get rid of all my makeup, not even the foundation that I use which is usually a BB Cream or tinted moisturizer. Granted, my skin is dry and every foundation-type product I use clings to dry bits and is therefore harder to get off, but the La Roche Posay Cleaning Gel removed everything and the Vichy does as well with slightly more effort involved.

The other issue was the scent. I suffer from sinus headaches and/or migraines and this smell just puts me over the edge if I'm already feeling poorly. It is Bath & Body Works Cucumber Melon times 100. It is very strong and quite cloying. If you are a migraine sufferer, please be careful with these. One sniff and I felt the familiar zap and nausea.

So, these are just not for me. I'm going to finish my pack but not repurchase.

6 comments:

G. said...

Oh man, I'm sorry these didn't work for you. I like a fragrance-free or VERY lightly scented wipe myself, so that's why I stick with either baby wipes or the Epielle wipes you can find at Big Lots. You should try the Rite Aid brand Tugaboo baby wipes! They're always on sale, they remove all of my makeup and the fragrance is very, very light. Also, they don't leave a weird film on my face like other wipes sometimes do. :)

SiSi Sparkles said...

awee I'm sorry these didn't work out for you! do you feel that weird burning sensation too when using these? o.O

Jeweled Thumb said...

@G: Ooh! I'll check those out the next time I'm at Rite Aid and being recommended by you is a bonus, since I know they'll be good. =)

@SiSi: no burning sensation that I can detect, I guess that means I'm one of the lucky ones? =/

Liz (Beauty Reductionista) said...

I'm glad you don't like them so that I'm not so tempted anymore when I pass by them. The packaging is so cute I often pause in front of this brand. But so far all the reviews I read are "meh" while one YouTuber insists on raving about them non-stop.

Alyson @ The Gloss Menagerie said...

Ahhh thank you much for this review! I almost bought these myself! Now I don't think they'd work for me since as you know I get migraines too.

zillah1199 said...

I use these and love them - but then, I love the scent of cucumber. I don't recommend them for makeup removal, but they're great for a quick cleaning in the morning, to get the 'sleep' out of my face.

Post a Comment