Wednesday, February 25, 2015

2014 Empties Part II

This part of my 2014 empties is going to focus on skincare. While I was taking photos I realized how many more cleansers than moisturizers I used up in 2014, which for me is a bit odd. Then I remembered that I mix most of my face creams with face oils (yes, even in the morning before makeup) and I have a nearly finished face oil in my bathroom right now (currently loving a drugstore one, actually - Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil - quite nice and much cheaper than the ones you can get at Sephora). Anyway, here's what I used up in 2014 (and a sneak peek - there will be a makeup/lip balm items empties post - including more than 1 foundation!).

 Several (7) packs of makeup remover wipes, starting from the left:
  • 2 packs of Lumene Gentle Cleansing Wipes 25 count - I remember these being nice, but not much else. Gentle which means not entirely effective, but I usually use wipes for face makeup anyway and use my *broken record* Makeupforever Sens'eyes for eye makeup.
  • Safeway Makeup-Remover Cleansing Towelettes (compare to Pond's) 15 count - Since I'm not a fan of the Pond's, I'm not sure what possessed me to pick these up, but my guess is I needed them in a pinch as I picked the smallest pack they sell. No other memories of these!
  • Olay Wet Cleansing Towelettes "Sensitive" 30 count - Sensitive is in air quotes since according to a previous mini review, these made my eyes water, so I used another pad for eye makeup removal. Meh. I seriously hope I don't have another packet of these floating around as they were only ok.
  • Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes 25 wipes - As it says in the linked review, I fell in love with these after getting them in one of the now defunct free Target beauty bags. Really like them but they are on the pricey side so I only buy when there is a particularly good sale and as I say in my review, they are much larger than your normal makeup wipe which is a bonus.
  • Nuance Salma Hayek Detoxifying Facial Cleansing & Toning Towelettes 25 wipes - I've been buying and using up these towelettes since they first came out (I think I've gone through at least 6 of these since they launched in 2011 - which considering the price is quite a lot for me). I still like them and as I've said, I only purchase when they are on sale.
  • Simple Kind To Eyes Eye Makeup Remover Pads - While I love the regular Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes, these suck. They just aren't effective. If I need another eye makeup remover to saturate an already "saturated" remover pad, then it's just not worth the money. The only redeeming thing is I didn't pay near full price as they came in a beauty box.
  • First Aid Beauty Daily Face Cream 1oz - As you can see, I really enjoyed this, though it wasn't quite moisturizing enough for me, hence my mention of face oils above. I've repurchased. I was a bit scared of some of the ingredients but it didn't break me out and it actually wears well under makeup.
  • Origins Drink-Up Intensive Overnight Mask - During a moment of sheer exhaustion, you can see my decision tree that mentions this product. Yes, I used it during the day and yes my makeup stayed on all day. What can I say? Dry skin does sometimes have its perks.
  • Eve Lom Cleanser (original) and Morning Time Cleanser (both 50mL/1.6oz)- I found it slightly amusing that when I first reviewed this back in 2011, I was pretty convinced I would never buy it due to the price point; well every since, spacenk has satisfied my craving for this product by putting their holiday sets on clearance most years - though I think I missed this last one. Even though these jars were meant for travel - (being the smallest size they offer), which I completely took advantage of, it took so long to use them up! I'm currently trying to get through one of the regular sizes and holy moly, a little goes a long way. I'm not defending the price point, but it's not as bad as you think considering the amount you use and my dry skin loves these. Sometimes, I leave it on extra long when I have time as more of a mask. And since there's nothing worse than the dry air of a train or airplane for my skin, I'm keeping the small empty jar around for future travel. 
  • Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil - I really liked this deluxe sample, but I'm not sure if I'd spring for the full size as I tend to prefer balm cleansers and when it's not a balm cleanser, it's an oil cleanser with a pump - though to be fair, the full size may be a pump and not a pipette, in which case, I would consider a repurchase.
  • Bliss Fabulous Foaming Facial Wash 2oz - This multi-purpose cleanser would not die. First of all, you need to use the smallest amount. This little deluxe size sample bottle lasted far longer than I thought it would. I am so glad I didn't spring for the full size when Sephora was offering it half price several months ago. For me, it's a little drying, but it's a nice product, especially if you're pressed for time since it's a cleanser and mild exfoliator in one. I'd probably recommend it more for normal to oily skin types though.
  • The Body Shop Moisture White Shisho Make-up Cleansing Oil - Really enjoyed this one and I'm eager to try the newer Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil waiting for me in my cupboard. Would repurchase with a sale, definitely, even if there isn't a pump!
  • Lierac Micellar Water - This cleansing water does a decent job of removing facial makeup but it doesn't nothing for anything remotely waterproof on the eyes. More convenient for some though since it's carried at various drugstores and with sales, it makes it less costly than some of the higher end versions.
  • Soap & Glory Clean Mary Cleansing Milk - Honestly, this is quite old, but when I found it in the back of my cabinet, I was compelled to use it up. It smelled the same and didn't have a weird texture and didn't irritate my skin so I went with it. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Peaches & Clean that Soap & Glory subsequently put out is the newer version of this. This is a great morning time cleanser as it has both oils and natural exfoliators, so it gives a minor exfoliation without being too drying prior to applying moisturizer and makeup.
Whew, just 2-3 more of these to go before I can get back in the rhythm of regularly scheduled empties posts. Check out Part I here!