Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review: Senna Barely Base Sheer Mineral Makeup

After reading tons of positive reviews on makeupalley, I was super excited to try the Senna Barely Base Sheer Mineral Makeup SPF 20. I am a huge fan of light weight bases and then spot concealing any blemishes I may have. With drier skin, the last thing I need is a heavy base that cracks or creates dry patches on my face.

Senna's take:
This sheer mineral veil of color gives skin a radiant, flawless finish while nourishing and protecting with botanicals, anti-oxidants and non-chemical full-spectrum sunscreens. Perfectly lightweight and water resistant. For all skin types.

As always, I chose the lightest shade, Fair. Fair looked far too yellow in the swatch I did after receiving the product but after blending it, it looked like a perfect match. I actually found this product a lot more pigmented than a lot of tinted moisturizers on the market. And while it did give a nice finish to my skin, I'd describe it as more of a satin finish. It doesn't look overly glowy like some tinted moisturizer (I find the Becca one the "worst" or "best" whatever your preference is in that regard). This, I'd describe as kind of a lighter foundation. For those oily skinned gals that swear to hate tinted moisturizers, I'd try this one as it is oil free.
You can tell from my swatch above that a little of this goes a pretty long way and it is a fairly pigmented formula. I haven't tried the color range apart from this color, but it does seem to be on the yellow side. But below you'll see how nicely it blends in.
I only have 2 issues with this product. One is the price, for $36 it's up there with the likes of the Laura Mercier TM (at $42). Yes, it does have slightly more product at 1.7oz versus the LM's 1.5oz but for a boutique brand that isn't easily swatched prior to buying, the price for me is a little high.
And the cap. Though it's nice to know that they fill the bottle, once you press it, it does have a tendency of spurting out product so be careful! I do, in general, like the sleek gold sturdy packaging but I did spray some all over my sink when I first used it.

So I do like this tinted moisturizer quite a bit. It lasted well throughout the day and I'll likely repurchase when I run out. I bet this would be a good summer tinted moisturizer as it's not too glowy but still provides 20SPF and a little added moisture.


ingredients: Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 3.75%, Zinc Oxide, 4.90%. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Chloride, Lysine, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Leaf Extract, Phytantriol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Boron Nitride, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Dextrin Palmitate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891). Warning: Avoid Eyes. Discontinue if irritation appears. Do not use on infants under 6 months old. 1.7oz/48g. Made in USA.

Disclosure: This was received for review from a representative of Senna Cosmetics. I was not paid and these are my honest opinions as always! Feel free to check out my labels tag for Senna to check out my other reviews.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh it sounds nice, I love a tinted moisturiser i do! But eek at the price!

Post a Comment