Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lip Balm Battle: Fresh vs Jane Iredale vs Blistex

I'd heard for months that the Blistex Complete Moisture lip balm was awesome and very similar to the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15. You may remember that I discovered a dupe for the Fresh in the Jane Iredale Lip Drink Lip Balm which I discovered last year and have since been through a couple tubes.

Let's start with the price and size:
.15oz Blistex Complete Moisture $3 (currently on sale at Walgreens 2/$3.00)
.18oz Jane Iredale Lip Drink $12
.15oz Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment $22.50 (mini pictured)

All 3 balms contain an SPF of 15.

The Blistex Complete Moisture has far more slip than the Jane Iredale or the Fresh. I prefer my lip balms to have more weight which usually results in more longevity. The Blistex is moisturizing from the start but tends to wear off fairly quickly. Both the Fresh and the Jane Iredale last on the lips a bit more; though some people would be unhappy with the slightly waxier texture. Obviously, the Blistex is the cheapest of the lot and can be easily gotten at the drugstore; however, the only thing I find similar about the Blistex to the others is the scent, which is spot on, and the fact the product has an SPF.

There's a reason I splurge on the Jane Iredale (I no longer buy full sizes of the Fresh). I can slather it on at night and wake up in the morning with soft, moisturized lips. If I apply it during the day, I don't have to reapply every 15 minutes and I know it is keeping my lips protected from the sun. I've heard complaints regarding the slightly thicker consistency and that these waxier balms leave a white cast but it isn't an issue on my pigmented lips.

So, the results of my 'battle'?

Jane Iredale definitely wins in my book. The Fresh is definitely a luxury item and fun to own at least once and the Blistex smells nice but doesn't do the job quite as well for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've owned one or all of these!