Saturday, July 2, 2011

My First Facial: Serenity Zone Medspa Review

As a beauty blogger, I'd imagine it may seem unusual that I have never had a facial. Indeed, when I stepped into Serenity Zone today for my 3:15pm appointment, I was a little apprehensive. Knowing that, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I waited until the absolute last minute to book the facial. I had bought a Groupon last year as a treat for myself for landing my new job at work in December. The Groupon expired yesterday and I called Serenity Zone earlier in the week to book, pretty shocked that they were able to book me for an appointment on Saturday (and technically after the coupon/promo had expired).

Serenity Zone is located in my old stomping grounds of Olney, MD. It's tucked away near one of those "paint your own pottery" type of places, Rita's and a bank. It took about 20 minutes to get to. 

I honestly don't know why I was so nervous about getting a facial. The whole experience was very relaxing; my esthetician, Mary, was lighthearted. She explained everything she was doing, asked questions but didn't lecture. The Fire & Ice facial included an upper arm, neck & face massage, skin cleansing, a glycolic peel, extractions, an aloe mask, and some weird device which Mary said had healing properties. Soothing music was played and lights were dimmed for the majority of the visit. My skin felt super soft, and looked much more radiant after. You could see the light catching off of it which is unusual. When I get dry, my skin looks so dull.

During the visit I also had a face scan to see any damage. Well it looks as though I have a lot more sun damage than I thought, but the overall texture of my skin looks pretty good. Laser treatments were recommended and of course come with a pretty penny attached to them.

I came home and instantly told my husband to touch my forehead. He was able to feel the difference (I definitely could). My forehead tends to get quite rough especially when the dry skin builds up there.

I've already booked my second visit. The Groupon promo price of $79 isn't too far from their usual pricing. The Fire & Ice facial I got is usually $125; the regular facial is $90. All in all, I was pretty impressed and definitely recommend Serenity Zone if you are close by or in the area (and definitely ask for Mary!).