Sunday, May 16, 2010

Discovery/Review: OPI Lipstick

A few months ago, I found some highly discounted OPI sets at Trade Secret. The sets consisted of a full size OPI nail polish and an OPI lipstick both for $3.74. The OPI colors were from the LE Australia collection and looked to be fairly safe colors and for $3.74, even if I didn't like the lipsticks, it was like getting the OPI half off, so I thought, what the hey (a sale will do me in every time as I'm sure you've picked up on). Well, I wasn't expecting to actually like the lipsticks (and enough to do a post about them).

In the back of my mind, I knew that OPI had branched out from solely doing nail polishes. They have/had a few (hand focused) skincare items, the lipstick, lip liners and gloss. But knowing the brand was focused on nail polish, I never thought that the products would actually be good and it certainly doesn't help that they didn't get a whole lot of attention before getting discontinued.

Well, I love the three colors that came in these sets (especially one particular shade which I'll mention in a bit). The three colors I got were Don't Melbourne The Toast, Didgeridoo Your Nails? and Suzy Loves Sydney.
I find the consistency really creamy and even moisturizing. They also have a shine to them and while some have a bit of frost, they are still creamy and not over the top. Don't Melbourne The Toast is by far my favorite. It's a mauvey pink bordering on nude with gold shimmer throughout but it's not frosty. My picture also makes it look a bit more orange than it is, but can you see the top of the swatch and the subtle shine? Really pretty. This is a really great neutral shade. Very office appropriate. Didgeridoo Your Nails? is a cool pink with gold/pink shimmer but again, not over the top. The fact that it has the gold in a fairly cool base makes it more complimentary for most skin tones than just a cool pink or one with a more cool glitter would be. Suzi Loves Syndney is a fairly dark raspberry. It has red glitter, but again, not obnoxiously so. What I really like about these is that one swipe, and they can be applied quite subtly but they can also be built up and although they have shimmer/glitter, they take a step back and aren't frosty.

If you manage to get your hands on some OPI lipsticks, give them a shot. I believe OPI lipsticks are discontinued but I continue to see large baskets of them on clearance at several Trade Secret locations so they may be worth a try especially on deep clearance. Personally, I'm happy I picked a few up especially for the, what? under $2 I paid? Definitely awesome for $2.

In other non-reviewy news, I have started adding items to my sale blog. More is coming once I sit down and go through some of the items I don't (or haven't) used. Much rather items go to a good home than sit around in my stash unloved. 

4 comments:

Jamie Dorman said...

I think I got one of those sets for my mom when I was 12 or something. She hasn't opened it to this day!

Miss ♥ Nikka said...

Ohh cool! I didnt know OPI makes lipsticks.
xoxo
Miss Nikka
http://nerdork.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I never knew they made lipsticks, they look very nice!

Jeweled Thumb said...

@PCS: You should steal, I mean borrow it! I'm sure she wouldn't mind!

@Miss Nikka: Unfortunately, made. They are discontinued. Which is a shame since they are really quite nice!

@Lillian: And of course I find them after they are discontinued. Typical. =/

Post a Comment