Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review: Spell Cosmetics

I just want to say that this review is long overdue. I received my Spell Cosmetics haul in early April and didn't really start testing them out till recently. Oops! Anyway, I'm going to share my thoughts and some pretty pictures especially since Spell is having an awesome sale through tomorrow only!

Anyway, as you can see in said haul entry, I experienced excellent customer service from Spell which I guess is probably why I was hesitant to try the products, what if they sucked? That would truly be a disappointment (though the review would have gone up anyway).

To test out on the eye, I did an EOTD with Antiquity (left) and a tiny but of Treasure (right) in the crease.

The first thing I noticed is that these felt less dry than a lot of the mineral shadows I've tried (a note that the line that I picked up is advertised to be more moist than other shadows - The Jewel Thief Collection). A lot of the time, if you have a shadow that is a base of color with glitter or sparkles, the moment you start trying to apply it to the eye, you lose the sheen and they go rather flat and some of them are harder to blend than others. For some people this is a good thing, especially more mature lids that can't really handle mega frost on the lid, but for those of us that actually like the shimmer colors, it's a bit disappointing. I am happy to say that although I did get some fall out with these shades, the glimmer stayed on the lids quite well and the shades didn't go flat when I started blending them.

The one thing I wasn't thrilled about is the fact these don't have a sifter. Since I'm near blind without my glasses, I literally had to bend down to my sink to pick up shadow with my brush, swirl in the lid and then apply so as not to create a huge mess. I also found that these tend to ball up in the jar which isn't a problem but it means there isn't a lot of the product that clings to the lid, so you do actually have to "dip" your brush in the product which for me is a recipe for disaster if I'm not careful.
Before I share my EOTD with the 2 shades I used, a disclaimer. My camera washes out colors a bit that I put on my face/eyes.
I used:
Lumene eyebase
Spell Antiquity all over lid
Spell Treasure in outer V (very little)
Milani Metallic Liquif-y Eye Metallic eyeliner in black to line
Bourjois mascara (I forget which one) in brown

This was applied at 12pm today and I went out in the hot sun and it stood up pretty well (though my lashes uncurled themselves). It's now 5:30pm. Spell eyeshadows are usually $9 each which is a bit high for a small line but so far I'm impressed and you can get them for a mere $3 a pop during the buy 5 get 5 free sale.

Would I buy again? Yes, and I'll be participating in the deal that ends tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jamie Dorman said...

Nice post! I hear a lot about spell but I have never tried them!

Jeweled Thumb said...

@PCS: You should give them a try, especially these shadows (this particular collection is really nice though I haven't tried any others in the regular line)!

Post a Comment