Sunday, May 30, 2010

Long Overdue Review: Good Enough To Eat Soap

Several months ago I learned that my favorite soap maker had closed up her shop and was not planning on continuing making soap. I had been used this small brand for years - seriously, I first bought her soaps my sophomore year of college to battle my seriously dry flaky skin after a few unfortunate experiences with other "popular" e-tailers. I found the prices very reasonable, the product was amazing - unlike other e-tailer soaps where they would literally stick to my skin in the shower, hers produced a rich moisturizing lather which didn't involve slathering myself in heaps of lotion after wards (I could even shave with them!). I especially liked the ones that contained exfoliating ingredients since they were much more gentle than exfoliaters I could purchase in the store.

Well, to say I freaked out was an understatement. I furiously e-mailed said soap lady asking her if she had any plans to reopen Sparta Soap: nope. So then I asked her for recommendations and asked a few other knowledgeable etsy-lovers as well. BTW- Thank you Phyrra for your help!

Here's what I discovered - soap was expensive on Etsy! I searched and searched for reasonable shop owners that didn't seem to be repackaged soap or merely poured glycerin. Now, here's the thing. While I enjoy supporting small businesses, the idea of spending upwards of $7 on a piece of soap (including shipping) seems a bit ridiculous to me. That's just as bad as buying LUSH and I have a store nearby. Granted, LUSH soap is ridiculously overpriced and seems to melt away in seconds in the shower but I admit, I do like the smell of the products.

Anyhow, I finally found Good Enough To Eat which seems to offer organic soaps at a very reasonable price. I'll admit, I was fairly hesitant as no one had recommended this particular shop, but I took the plunge... in February.

Well, it took me till very recently to try this stuff.
The shop offers a variety of different "flavors" textures, butters and other items. The highest priced soap item in the shop is a very reasonable $3.75 (most range from $2.75 to $3.00) and are 4oz. Each soap comes individually wrapped with the name, ingredient list and contact information. The order arrived quickly, wrapped in tissue paper with an invoice.

I bet you're wondering what I thought of the products, huh? Well, the first time I showered I was pleased to see a rather rich lather form, the scent was divine - the one I used first was the Oatmeal & Honey soap which has fine granola in the base. I usually shy away from honey scents as some of them can be a bit overwhelming and honestly, disgusting. Not this one. This is actually really pleasant. My skin didn't feel dry the first time I used it, but it did feel a bit tight. I was a bit worried after that but the sensation has dissipated as I've continued using the soap. One of the best things about this soap is I can shave with it! The lather is thick and moisturizing enough so that I can even use it on the delicate skin underneath my arms. And no razor burn. Oh yeah, and it exfoliates - double duty.

And a perk, though admittedly my bathroom is tiny, having the soap on the dish scents up my entire bathroom!

So, I'm quite happy I took a shot with Good Enough To Eat soaps and I'll definitely be reordering if the shop owner forgives me for waiting this long to leave feedback on Etsy. =x

Disclosure: I bought the above soap(s) with my own hard earned cash.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh they sound great! I'll have to look for a scent i like the sound of :)

Jeweled Thumb said...

@Lillian: Yeah, I am quite pleased with my purchase. I like the ones with scrubby bits the most!

Post a Comment