Friday, December 17, 2010

Review: Haus of Gloi Soft Bubbling Scrub Eggnoggin

I'm a huge huge huge huge fan of scrubs (not all scrubs mind you, there's a rather negative review hidden in those links).

So enter the Haus of Gloi Soft Bubbling Scrub. I had heard that the Haus of Gloi scrubs were thicker than the av-er-age scrub and that piqued my interest (anyone get the reference?). Of the scents I received in the scrub formulation, I decided to try Eggnoggin first - tis the season after all. By the way, even though I'm Jewish I love eggnog though I usually pick up the Silk Soynog as it tends to be a bit healthier, still a bit gluttonous but not bad as the full fat variety.

ahhhhem - oh there you are

As I mentioned in my introductory Haus of Gloi haul post, I purchased the sample sizes of a few of their holiday scents. This size is 2oz and clocks in at $3.50 and comes in a sturdy plastic tub with waterproof label (the angels sing because a lot of indie brands don't do this and it is a mess!).

I'll touch on two things here: 1) this scent and 2) the soft bubbling scrub formulation -

The Scent
The Haus 'nog! Cream, sugar and a shot of dark rum topped with fresh nutmeg

I get a whole lot more rum than cream or sugar with this scent. Eggnog usually has a very creamy scent that covers a lot of the rum taste and smell in at least the commercial variety. This actually reminds me more of the rum buns which are like cinnamon buns except drenched in a rum runny icing sort of thing and usually has some raisins in it. That's the sort of smell I get. Very delicious but much less of a creamy scent than I was expecting. It also smells a tiny bit sharp as if you've just sniffed a bit of real rum which makes this a great scent to use when you want to wake up. I'm not sure how this scent would work as a body lotion or fragrance though as the strong note of the alcohol would make it more masculine smelling to me. Might be something for your significant other to try.
The FormulationThis scrub is very thick and grainy which I like. The granules are slightly smaller than I'm used to and dissolve after a few seconds of being exposed to water. You can kind of see that around the outer rim of the jar in the picture above. The scrub itself before introducing water however, is very firm. You can easily pick up some product and form a small ball in your hands and it won't fall apart or lose it's shape. I found that while not greasy, it reached medium scrubbiness (yeah yeah, not a word but it works well). The formula didn't leave a thick greasy layer on my skin, but I could still kind of feel it after washing away the product. This is good for my dry skin but others may not like this. It also made my shower floor a bit slippery but nowhere near the magnitude of the LUSH scrub. I can't detect that the scent stuck around so it wouldn't interfere with other scents you wore but I didn't use it all over.
If you like a real intense scrub, I'd apply this on dry skin before showering to get the full effect. If you prefer a lighter scrub, you can use it in the shower (just make sure you don't get water in the tub). I'm going to try applying it pre-showering the next time I use it.

It's too early to tell if I'll repurchase this, but I think I'll stick to other scents if I do. Eggnoggin is too heavy on the rum for my tastes.

1 comment:

Petra said...

Great review! I love the bubbling scrubs, I've got one in one of their Halloween LE scents, Samhain. Samhain is really, really, intense in body butter form but not so much for the scrub. I use it almost all over and I've never noticed the scent hanging out for long, which I think is a good thing.

Thanks for going into detail about the scent. I was really curious about it. I love rum but I don't think I'd want to smell like it! :)

Post a Comment