Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nerdy Inspiration

I've been home today on (more or less) bed rest due to my back (again). For anyone that's been reading this with any regularity, you may know that I have two herniated discs in my back that have been getting treated with epidural shots that typically last 2 months. Well, let's just say my last shot wore off and my husband urged me to stay home till my shot tomorrow. So I was stuck in bed and even YouTube videos couldn't satiate my boredom (and there weren't enough of them to watch all day).

Well, I wound up watching a few episodes of the now defunct (tear) show Firefly and I happened upon some makeup inspiration with the character named Inara. She had the best costumes and makeup and I think I'm going to try some of the looks she has in the series. Her whole look during the show was awesome, really awesome clothing, makeup, and accessories (and especially the decorating on her area of the ship).

Anyway, if I feel well enough to stand up and perch near a mirror tomorrow, I think I'm going to try one of these.


Super smoky and or bright and she obviously wore tons of black liner and false lashes, should be fun! She's gorgeous (I don't have her looks) but at least I can replicate the makeup.

Hope everyone is doing well!

8 comments:

Libby's Pink Vanity said...

Please rest easy and I hope you feel way better tomorrow. Looking forward to your replications! PS...do you think she looks like a young Cher?

cucumpear said...

Oooh, Inara! She's almost too pretty and I have issues with how poised and aloof she tends to be. I'm more into Zoe and River (and Jayne, of course...).

Leticia said...

She looks like the woman who plays Anna in the new V series. I like the makeup. :)

Jeweled Thumb said...

@Kim: I dunno, doesn't Cher have more of an oval long face and hers looks more like a heart/slightly rounded? I feel tons better now, thank you!

@CucumPear: I think being aloof is part of her character or how a companion is supposed to be. Ohh shocking that you like Jayne! =p

@CA: That's because it's the same person! =)

The Postcolonial Rabbit said...

Oh I love Inara's look so much! I love the way her makeup and costumes draw on the exoticism of South Asia, the Middle East and Japan to be ultra-feminine and sumptuously beautiful.

I also love the contradictions in her character and in the idea of companions - both feminine and submissive, but very powerful and in control. Whedon's a master when it comes to thinking about alternative modes of sexuality.

I'm sorry to hear about your back and hope you're on the mend soon! I can't imagine how much pain you must be in. Lots of hugs x

Jeweled Thumb said...

@TPR: I agree, I found the rest of the Firefly "world" as it were sort of weird but her character still had the same sort of familiar culture to it.

I really wish through the series they would have touched more on the companion profession! I know they had a few episodes that explained it a little more and I guess with the limited time they couldn't go into too much detail (sigh).

Thanks much! I'll admit I'm getting tired of dealing with it.

Donna said...

I know exactly how you feel, because I have three herniated discs! The docs don't even bother with the epidurals anymore, they just leave me drugged up on morphine now. This has been going on for 12 yrs for me. I did see a surgeon about getting whatever the heck that surgery is that they use bone grafts for. (The problem with morphine is that you lose your memory. I get stuck on words that are "just on the tip of my tongue" like the word for that surgery right now.) Anyway, the surgeon said that the surgery wouldn't help me. The things he said he could fix were on the left side, and most of my pain is on the right.

Anyway, good luck with the epidurals, they gave me a few pain free years, but just stopped working after awhile. Hopefully they will work awesome for you and continue to work.

Donna said...

Ooooh! Fusion is the word for that surgery. Of course I remembered it right after I posted my comment. lol

Post a Comment