It's been a super long time since I last did an Empties post but I swore there would be a few makeup items in it and as usual, things take a lot longer to finish than they may appear (for example that ELF TM seemed to last forever even with daily use and it's tiny). As always, I include kind of mini final reviews of the products and I'll link if I've reviewed them in the past. I have received some questions regarding my attempts to use up my stash so I thought I would answer them.
Are you doing a Project 'X' Pan?
No, limiting myself on makeup purchases doesn't work for me as I will just go and spend money on something else (or eat too much). Thankfully, I have the means to splurge occasionally on myself and it makes me happy. I don't have makeup related debt (just some student loans and a mortgage - I recently paid off my car, yay!) so I don't feel guilty about my makeup purchases. My husband buys video games and comics so it's nice to have my own girly vice.
Then why the tracking?
I have this fear that the makeup that I have will go bad and I will have wasted money on products I couldn't enjoy or use (I already have a problem with not using things that are "pretty"). This is my attempt in making sure that my makeup gets loved and finished (and it feels awesome to see what I've used and finished for some reason)! This is also why I love having giveaways and/or blog sales. I've been into makeup since the late 90s so even with limited purchases, I still have enough for quite awhile (obviously I throw away anything expired)!
Anyway, enough rambling, the evidence:
* The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care: One of my Holy Grails. Smells like ginger ale and works for the flakies/dermatitis. I have no idea what number bottle this is, but I've been using this for several years. This was in my 2010 Favorites and in several hauls last year. Will continue to repurchase.
* Urban Therapy Twisted Sista De Frizz Conditioner: I reviewed this for Beauty Debutante and this was my favorite of the products I received from the Twisted Sista line. It's super cheap and works pretty well. The tube went pretty quickly on my long hair but now that it's short, I bet it would last a bit longer. I haven't seen this in any stores but if I did, I'd (re)purchase.
* Darphin Conditioning Care with jojoba: I have no idea how I got a hold of this product but it's pretty nice, very thick and super moisturizing. I'm not even sure if Darphin still makes this. The only thing that put me off was the slightly floral scent. I'm not sure I'd repurchase. I bet it's really pricey.
Essence of Beauty Eye Makeup Remover Non-Oily: Love these. These take off the most waterproof of eye makeup and they don't sting. Pretty inexpensive at CVS - though I haven't seen them in stores for ages they were available online last I checked.
* Clinique Take The Day Off For Lids Lashes & Lips: Awesome stuff that doesn't sting. Only negative is the price and the need to use a Q tip (what can I say? I'm super mega lazy and near blind without specs or contacts). I request these if I buy at the counter or as extras in swaps. I love the portable size as well, less mess if you accidentally knock it over and spill the whole bottle.
* Missha Super Aqua Cleansing Tissue: These were ok till they dried out and didn't remove any makeup without the assistance of another makeup remover. Did decently well with eye makeup when the cloths were actually saturated. These are on clearance for $6 on the Missha website if you want to see for yourself but I'd go with a drugstore version if I were you.
* Avene Thermal Spring Water: Lovely as a refresher, a bit over priced but nice to have around. Really awesome in the summer as the water stays cool without refrigeration.
* Skin MD Natural Shielding Lotion: After I received this for review, I quickly fell in love and so did practically everyone I had try it. My husband stole the bottle for about a week and then I bought him his own. My mother in law loves it since she works outside a lot and needs to wash her hands often. She loves that it sinks in quickly. DH has reserved my back up bottle for his own use at work. He's even gotten his boss hooked on this stuff. It's pricey but lasts forever. It works on soothing the skin (eczema, razor burn, etc) as well as keeping the skin hydrated but never greasy due to over washing. It does have silicones so if you are sensitive to them I wouldn't recommend it, but if your skin doesn't mind them this stuff is awesome. Since my review, I've bought 6 bottles for our house and friends and family.
* Cellnique B-Liv line: After my review, I started liking this line a little more, specifically the Submerge Me Lotion and the Shrink & Tighten Complex. I still don't think the Off With Those Heads did much of anything for me. However, the price still puts me off. I did notice a difference when I stopped using the routine, however my skin seems to like many different lines (H2O being one of them). I may (re)purchase the two items I liked in the future but I'm drawn to easier and cheaper lines that I can buy in person.
* H20 Sea Pure Deep Moisture Cream: Is anyone surprised that I've used this up? I love this stuff though it's just as well that I've run out since my skin is freaking out after the threading I received this past week (I'm broken out in little bumps everywhere she threaded). For now, I'm using some more harsh skincare to hopefully get rid of the bumps but I will be so ready for this when my replacement comes in the mail...
Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous Waterproof: LOVE! Probably my favorite mascara of 2010.
* Bourjois Pump Up The Volume Waterproof in Brown: It was ok. I prefer the Maybelline and in general black mascaras. It also smudged when I teared.
* Cover Girl Lash Exact: Again, not as good at the Maybelline and blue. In the review, I said I would repurchase but next time I'll try the black version!
* The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Lip Care Stick: I really love The Body Shop, if you can't already tell and I'm a big fan of most of their lip balms (other than the vitamin C orange one that tastes funny). This I've already repurchased. Super creamy and great for fall and winter and smells delicious.
* MAC Plush Glass in Posh It Up: I dislike MAC lipglosses but continue to buy them for their color selection and the hype. I will try to use up more MAC lip products in 2011 and then will trade them in for something other than a lipglass! A guess that would be a New Years resolution?
* ELF Tinted Moisturizer (regular $1 line) in Ivory: I've reviewed and featured/worn this countless times in 2010 and really like it. I will repurchase for sure but not until I've used up a few more tinted moisturizers in my stash. I love the price of this and the coverage is actually pretty good. After months of using it, I finally got used to the orange soda scent. For $1 it's definitely worth trying if you like tinted moisturizers. A plus, it comes in a shade that matches fair skin!
Wow, this post was epically long. Hope it was helpful at the very least. Have you used anything up recently?