Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Smelly Polish


This, ladies and gentleman, is my rather sad looking nail. As you noticed in my NOTD pic, my cuticles are in bad shape but that's not why I took this picture. Today was day 4 of my manicure and everything was going rather well, other than the usual culprits (I have a bad habit of flicking my nails so a few showed some tip wear but most were unchipped). But then, I noticed something, my nails smelled... and not the normal, "I'm wearing nailpolish and it doesn't generally smell good" smell; it smelled faintly like old band aids. I don't need to go into further detail, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Now, because I'm prone to infection, I wash my hands almost constantly and always use antibacterial gel in between. I have no idea how this smell manifested itself, but as I was eating lunch, I just couldn't handle it anymore and peeled most of my nail polish off (I know this isn't particularly good for my nails but darn it I was going to eat my lunch without wanting to hurl!). I don't know if it was the YSL which I was using for the first time or the OPI (and likewise on this particular shade but I have definitely used other colors in the past without this problem). All I know was it was an awful smell that I decided to share with you poor unassuming folks.

Any bright ideas as to what happened? For now, I'm going to take the rest of the polish off and let my nails have a breather and plenty of scented antibacterial items (with lotion to compensate for lack of moisture).

2 comments:

ndoodles said...

AH! That's really scary. Well that seems like a bad infection. If it doesn't heal... go to the doctor! I guess that's why salons do have regulations and such. Anyways use Hydrogen peroxide, it will help w/ some infections.

Jeweled Thumb said...

@ndoodles: Actually, the smell has gone away completely since taking the polish off. Weird, huh (so most likely no infection is/was present).

Post a Comment